Contextual Theme: Cities and Urban Landscapes
From Farm to Table Programme
Under the Singapore Green Plan 2030, there is renewed emphasis on safeguarding food security in order to build a resilient future for Singapore. North Vista’s ALP focus on sustainable farming allows students to make connections between classroom learning and authentic problems and opportunities that they encounter in everyday life. It also introduces students to STEM-related areas, provides opportunities for students to learn beyond their textbooks, identify their aptitudes and interests and make informed decisions on their education and career choices in future.
All Secondary 1 students have the opportunity to learn about growing edibles using traditional farming methods. They also learn skills of collaboration and knowledge application as they take charge of the farm plot allocated to their class. Students are able to cook and learn about dishes using the harvested crops.
All Secondary 2 students engage in high-tech farming and participate in workshops on indoor farming and hands-on sessions to grow edibles using a hydroponics system. Students who have passion and interest in the area may also deepen their learning through learning experiences with other organisations and higher institutions of learning.
The ALP Farm-to-Table Programme 2022 consists of 2 tiers:
- Secondary 1: Growing edibles using traditional methods
- Secondary 2: Growing edibles using high tech farming methods (hydroponics)
- Growing perennials using traditional methods in Semester 2
- Experimentation in growing edibles using high tech farming methods (hydroponics / aeroponics)
- Participation in talks relating to food sustainability
- Competitions organised by STEM Inc. and Science Centre
Secondary 1 – From Farm-To-Table Programme (Using traditional farming methods - soil)
Secondary 2 – From Farm-To-Table Programme (Using High Tech Farming Methods - Hydroponics)
A whole-school approach… Teachers at work!